The 1,700 Mile Journey: Part 1

After several requests from various friends, I decided to blog about living, working, and traveling in the Northeast. So...how did I end up moving from Oklahoma to Connecticut? 

Approximately 1742 miles




As many of you know, I am finishing my Masters degree in Museum Science at Texas Tech University. The final portion of my degree consists of completing either a six month internship or writing a thesis. If you know me at all you know that writing in general, especially research papers, is not one of my favorite activities. Therefore, doing an internship was a much more appealing option. 

After several months of communicating with art museums and submitting dozens of internship applications it became clear to me that God wanted me in Connecticut for this period of my life. So here I am. 

The process of physically moving from Oklahoma to Connecticut and getting moved into my apartment was a umm.....memorable experience to say the least. However, God always takes care of me and this trip was no exception.

Mom and I left on a Thursday in my truck (aka Baby) with a full u-haul heading East. Shortly after we started our journey Baby hit a major milestone in her automotive life--100,000 miles!


100,000 miles!

Missouri countryside

St. Louis

We stopped in Casey the first evening and discovered the only Pizza Hut in America that does not deliver. Now that may be an exaggeration but that is literally what the front desk man told us. The funny thing is that the hotel room key had a Pizza Hut advertisement on it and we could see the Pizza Hut from our hotel room, but they wouldn't deliver. Now this would not have been a big deal, but we are pulling a u-haul. 

Oh and did I mention that I have never backed up a trailer of any kind before? That would have been an extremely useful skill to possess. I discovered that backing up a trailer is much much harder that it seems when we pulled into a truck stop and began going the wrong way in a Wendy's drive through. It was quite an ordeal. I was not making any kind of progress going in reverse and started to back up the drive through line when a nice man walked up to us and asked if we needed help. He backed up the truck and trailer for us and we were able to get out of everyone's way. Definitely a God thing. 

On Friday we stopped in Cleveland, Ohio, because one of my favorite paintings is housed at the Cleveland Museum of Art and I desperately wanted to see it in person. The hotel we stayed at had RV parking, but it  did not have any pull-through options. Instead it required that you had to back up into the space which was not good news for us. I don't think Stephanie (the front desk lady) believed us when we said we literally can't back up the trailer. She said she would help direct us and it would be alright...here we go again. I tried to back it up and only proved to Stephanie that I was telling the truth. Thankfully God provided for us again. 

In a completely empty parking lot except for me, my Mom, and Stephanie a man comes walking by and asks if we need help backing the trailer up. It turns out that he drove trucks for 20 years and it took him all of 30 seconds to get Baby in the parking space. 

After that ordeal, Mom and I took a taxi to the Cleveland Museum of Art and I wandered around wide-eyed trying to absorb everything I could. 

Armor

George Bellows "Stag at Sharkey's" 1909

John Singer Sargent "Portrait of Lisa Colt Curtis" 1898

Louis Comfort Tiffany and Company

Frederic Edwin Church "Twilight in the Wilderness" 1860 !!!!!!

When the museum was getting ready to close we called a taxi to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. The only problem with this plan was that the taxi never showed. So we ended up chatting with Emmitt (an elderly gentleman who is a security guard at the museum) for over an hour just waiting for a taxi that would never come. 

However, God provided once again. Emmitt offered to take us to our hotel if the taxi did not come by the time the museum needed to close. So we ended up catching a ride with Emmitt (the Georgia boy who followed a woman to Cleveland and is about to move back to Georgia to help his brother take care of his 96 year old mother...we got to know each other pretty well that night lol). 

More to come...

1 comment

  1. Selena! I love your blog! It looks wonderful, & the font is working perfectly! Great job :)

    I'm so excited to hear more about your new life in Connecticut! What a great opportunity!

    And...good job pulling that trailer! When Don & I moved to Lawton from Colorado, I pulled the trailer & man, it wasn't easy! However, I never had to back it up -- thank goodness!!

    Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete