The Cloisters and The Met | New York City, NY

One of the perks of interning at an art museum is that I get to help on bus trips. A major perk of interning in New England is that we take bus trips to places like The Cloisters and The Metropolitan Museum of Art. 


The Cloisters

I have been told by several people that I needed to visit The Cloisters while I was in New England and they were right. It is absolutely amazing! The building was brought over in pieces and assembled from different religious sites in Europe. It houses some incredible medieval art, such as the Unicorn Tapestries which I learned are metaphors for the life of Christ. 

The museum also has  interesting temporary exhibitions. The exhibition "The Game of Kings: Medieval Ivory Chessmen from the Isle of Lewis" was on exhibit during my visit. A fun fact: if you have ever gone through Beth Moore's "Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman" Bible study you will recognize these chess pieces.


Garden



The Unicorn in Captivity (from the Unicorn Tapestries), 1495-1505

Initial H from a Bible, tempera on parchment, French ,
ca. 1175-1195, from the Abbey of Pontigny, France




Sometimes I wish that I could stay in New York City for an entire week and spend each morning exploring The Met. The Met is incredibly huge! It is a completely overwhelming and exhilarating experience each time I visited. During this visit I explored the newly opened American Wing. I spent most of my time in the galleries that showcased paintings by John Singer Sargent because if you can't tell already I am enamored with his artworks. I also saw the Arms and Armor Wing and The Temple of Dendur. 


John Singer Sargent, Mr. and Mrs. I.N. Phelps Stokes, 1897, oil on canvas

John Singer Sargent, The Wyndham Sisters:
Lady Elcho, Mrs. Adeane, and Mrs. Tennan
t, 1899, oil on canvas

Ennanuel Leutze, Washington Crossing the Delaware, 1851, oil on canvas





Temple of Dendur, Egyptian, 15 B.C., Aeolian Sandstone


I think you could spend a month in this museum and not see everything on view. Being a museum nerd, it makes me wonder what all they have in storage :)


No comments