New England Road Trip: Downtown Portland, Maine Historical Society Tour, Shopping, & Old Port | Portland, ME


I arrived in Portland, Maine, late Sunday night. I settled into my Airbnb and crashed. I slept in Monday morning and then headed to downtown Portland. 


I had lunch at Eventide Oyster Co. and explored downtown a little before my 1:30 pm walking tour wit the Maine Historical Society. Downtown is so cute! It has a lot of interesting buildings.The walking tour was okay but not great. I wouldn't recommend it. 






After the tour, I went shopping in the Old Port section of town, down Exchange Street and Commercial Street mainly. There was a mixture of local shops and boutiques and typical tourist shops.  





After dinner, I tried to visit the Winslow Homer Studio. The Portland Museum of Art owns the studio and offers tours. However, they were not offering tours on the days I was in Portland so I thought I would drive out to the studio and walk around the grounds. Little did I know that Homer's studio is so far behind a gate you can't even see the building from the street. Not to mention it is in an extremely well-to-do neighborhood with several no parking signs along the streets. Well, at least I can say I tried. 




No comments