New England Road Trip: Lighthouse Cruise, Lyman Allyn Art Museum, & Visiting My Old Stomping Grounds | New London, CT

I started the day by having an early lunch at Captain Scott's Lobster Dock (it has one of my top two lobster rolls of the trip!!). After lunch, I went on the Classic Lighthouse Cruise with New London's Cross Sound Ferry. It was so good!!

New London Ledge Lighthouse

I suggest arriving 30-45 minutes early for the cruise. Even if you make an online reservation, which I highly recommend, at the time of this post, you will still need to obtain a paper ticket from the ticket office (in the same line as people trying to purchase tickets for the cruise). 

Parking for the cruise was easy. The Cross Sound Ferry had a good system that gets people parked quickly and efficiently. Plus, it's only $5 to park :) . 

North Dumpling Light


The boat for the cruise was pretty big. The upper deck was open and the lower decks were enclosed (good for people who got cold so they could retreat to the enclosed portion). Thankfully, I was able to find an empty random single seat in the front row of the top deck (perks of traveling solo).



We saw seven lighthouses on our cruise and got close to most of them. Whenever we reached a lighthouse, the captain would turn the boat 180 degrees. No matter where you were sitting, you had a good view. 

Race Rock Light

Little Gull Light

Bug Light

The cruise was narrated so you could learn about the lighthouses and the surrounding areas; however, at times it was difficult to hear the narrator on the upper deck. Otherwise, the lighthouse cruise was fantastic and I would recommend it!

Orient Point Lighthouse

New London Harbor Light

New London waterfront

New London waterfront

After the cruise, I visited the Lyman Allyn Art Museum. I did my graduate internship at this museum and it was fun to visit it again. It was a little strange because none of my former co-workers still work there, but otherwise it was a nice visit. 





Daniel Huntington, Abigail Dolbeare Hinman, ca. 1853-56

Jervis McEntee, Train through a Pass in the Alps, ca. 1868

Bruce Crane, The White Mantle, 1919

William Chadwich, The Connecticut River, view from Ely's Ferry Road, early 20th century

Guy C. Wiggins, Church on the Hill, ca. 1910-12

Church on the Hill detail

The galleries that exhibit pieces from the permanent collection have been revamped and look great. I didn't care for the temporary exhibition on view at the time of my visit; therefore, I made it through the museum in approximately 45 minutes. 


Charles H. Davis, Sky, 1924

J. Alden Weir, Against the Window, 1884

J. Alden Weir, The Tow Girl, 1879-1880

Guy C. Wiggins, Wall Street and Trinity Church, Winter, 1935

Clockwise: Sam Messer, Camel,1997; Kiki Smith, Untitled, 1997;
Alex Katz, Sketch for Passing, 1963; Louise Nevelson, The Crown, 1946

Sol LeWitt, Bands of Equal Width in Color, 2000



I continued my stroll down memory lane by visiting my old church, apartment complex, and library in Groton. I also went to Fort Griswold to take some updated New London skyline photos. However, most of the trees block the view of the skyline now! I suppose things change in 6 years.


Groton Heights Baptist Church


My old apartment

Bill Memorial Library (behind the historic cannon, lol)

No comments