Even Heating is Different

I have never lived in a place that does not have central heat and air, but apparently that is very common up here. Instead there is one air conditioner window unit in the living room (which at least I know how to work) and these long heating elements that run along the floor boards. There are one or two of the heating elements in each room and a dial controller for each one. 


Heating element along the floor (and this is the
first time that I have windows that open from side to
side instead of top to bottom)



heating element


control dial

It will definitely be an adventure figuring out how this is going to work when it starts getting cold. I am not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see how these heating elements could possibly be better or more energy efficient than central heating. I understand there is not a huge need for central air conditioning during the summer because it usually does not reach triple digits for eight weeks straight in this area of the country. However, it gets much colder for much longer up here. Wouldn't you want to at least have central heating? But what do I know; I'm just an Oklahoma girl about to experience my first New England winter.



No comments