New England Road Trip: Boston/Melrose Lodgings & Parking | Melrose, MA

While I was visiting Boston, I stayed in a charming Airbnb in Melrose, Massachusetts. The building was a historic home that has been turned into apartments. I stayed in the apartment on the second floor with the turret and leaded glass window. 


The apartment was cute and larger than the other Airbnbs I stayed in previously. Before I left for my trip, the host messaged me on Airbnb and gave me the code to the apartment key lock box, wifi password, told me where to park, etc. 

However, the host didn't provide any breakfast or snack options (I picked up some breakfast items at a Sprouts close to the apartment) and she didn't reply to the last message I sent her. Also, I'm pretty sure someone lives in the apartment when it isn't rented out (which would have been nice to know). Additionally, the windows in the bedroom face East and have thin, gauzy white curtains (be prepared to wake up when the sun rises). 

Be that as it may, this Airbnb was close to Boston without being exorbitantly expensive and was in a charming building. For more specifics about this Airbnb, watch the video below! Also, for $40 off your Airbnb booking click here


Parking: 
I chose to stay in an Airbnb in Melrose because it is a quick drive to the Oak Grove stop. Oak Grove is the last stop on the Orange Line of Boston's subway, aka the "T", without using the commuter trains. Also, the Oak Grove station has a parking lot with 700+ parking spaces and the parking prices are reasonable ($9 Monday-Friday and $3 Saturday-Sunday for 14 hours). 

If you are visiting Boston on a Saturday and/or Sunday, the Oak Grove parking lot will more than likely offer a multitude of parking spots for you to choose from. However, if you are visiting Boston Monday-Friday, you will be competing with every person that commutes to Boston for work, school, etc. In other words, you are not going to find a spot to park in that parking lot or down any of the streets near it. 

I suggest taking an Uber from your lodgings to the Oak Grove stop or into the Boston. Unfortunately, in my case that wasn't an option. My first day in Boston was on a Friday, I had a tour in Boston scheduled for 10:30 am, and I couldn't check into my Airbnb until 11:00 am. Thanks to Google Maps, I found a parking garage that was a 15 minute walk from the T station (for the win!). However, Google Maps did not save the location of the parking garage (fail!) which made it stressful and interesting to find the parking garage while walking, in the dark, in the rain, in an unfamiliar city. 

But God provided, as He always does. He kept me safe and helped me remember random details about the area so I could find the right parking garage. As an added bonus, I didn't have to pay to park my car in that parking garage! The kiosk to pay was enclosed and pad locked shut by the time I arrived. I physically couldn't get to the kiosk to pay, but the barrier to leave the garage was up so I could drive my car out. Lemons turned into lemonade and God providing and protecting me every step of the way :)


No comments